Rudy Gestede has joined Middlesbrough
Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka has made an interesting move in the transfer market with Rudy Gestede being the Teeside’s first signing of the January window.
Aston Villa are understood to have accepted a bid of between £6million-£7million.
The front man who arrived in the north-east to complete the deal after Boro’s frustrating goalless draw against Leicester on Monday.
Meanwhile one player who looks like he will leave is Boro keeper Tomas Mejias – he is currently in Spain with a view to completing a loan move to Rayo Vallecano after finding himself fourth in line at the Riverside Stadium this season behind Victor Valdes, Brad Guzan and Dimi Konstantopoulos.
A very candid Karanka refused to give anything away on his transfer targets but did admit: “I want to finish the transfer market on the 31st of January with a better squad than I have now so that is the target the club is working towards.”
Boro’s performance against the Foxes showed that they are in need for new blood up front with Jordan Rhodes and David Nugent struggling in the Premier League.
Karanka has new injury problems to contend with in the build-up to his side’s FA Cup clash with Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday with Valdes missing after his controversial clash with Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Saturday, and Antonio Barragan limping off with a suspected hamstring strain.
Karanka said Valdes’ absence underlined the honesty of the keeper, who had been accused of exaggerating his injury following the collision with Ibrahimovic, whose resulting goal was ruled out by referee Lee Mason.
He added: “The injury was from the Ibrahimovic action. Someone said he (Valdes) was simulating in the second half and today he could prove again that he was injured. He is a professional, an experienced player and he could play the second half but not today. I hope he will be ready for the next game.”
- John Terry to leave Chelsea at the end of the season
- Marcus Rashford is Manchester United’s home-grown talent but he must make the most of his limited chances
- Pep Guardiola needs to overhaul Manchester City’s defence with John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala not living up to their price tag
- Birmingham have made a £4million bid for Crystal Palace winger Bakary Sako